Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Questions, Tidbits, and Tips from a VERY LONG trip

WHEW! What a trip. These last two days have dragged on FOREVER! I had to amuse myself with some silly things to share about it.

Let me start out with the tips portion of this post.

1. Don't ever drive 900 miles in two day's time. Just not great for the body, especially not the back or legs. If you do choose to do this much driving, please remember to take more than 2 breaks per trip half. I would also have someone else who is able to drive come along with you. We didn't take breaks for a reason I won't discuss here, but this way of travelling is NOT a way that I'm accustomed to.

2. If it's raining hard enough to only be able to see less than 100 feet in front of the vehicle you're driving, you should probably pull over. This may mean sitting on the side of the road for 3 hours, but man was I stressed out after that drive! Dodging tree branches in the road, driving over puddles so large they are almost flooding out the whole road, and squinting at barely visible road signs to make sure you're still on the correct route was not so very fun.

3. If you're bringing clothes that you THINK will be comfortable to drive in, you may want to make sure they actually ARE comfortable. The deep creases in the back of my legs from the seem in my skirt tell me that the skirt I chose to wear wasn't the best choice.

4. If you are planning on interstate travel, bring a map for more than one state with you. If you get lost in IOWA and only have a WISCONSIN map, it's not very helpful to getting back on the proper course.

Tidbits:

1. I had known that it APPEARED that lightning bugs glowed in the dark. I thought it may just seem like they do because of light reflecting off their body. They really DO glow in the dark, the bug guts on my van's windshield where the wipers can't reach was proof of that. It glowed for almost a minute after the fateful event.

2. I have never been in a funeral procession before where I was far enough up the line to be considered part of the procession. We were driving around Davenport through stop signs and red lights. I felt like I was being really naughty, I've never been able to do these things before.

Now for the questions that occured to me as I was driving.

1. I know that people who chase storms are called storm chasers. What do you call people who run away from storms? Storm runners?

2. Why do some places put the turn signs right where you're SUPPOSED to turn and others place signs the street BEFORE you're supposed to turn? That's a good way to get lost in a driving rain storm!

3. Aren't storms SUPPOSED to head NORTHEAST instead os SOUTHWEST? Um, HELLO! When 1/2 of a 6 hour trip is spent in the poring rain it gets more than a little annoying, especially when the cloud span is almost a whole state wide.

Edited to add:



P.S. Make sure you have good windshield wiper blades even if there's just a remote possibility of rain! At least this is on the passenger side...

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

11 comments:

tina said...

I will try not to drive so far like that! Sounds rough.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Driving in the rain is one of the things I dislike the most.

Gail said...

I'm with you, I think it's better to pull over and I hate being stuck in uncomfortable cloths.

gail

lisa said...

Wow, the only thing worse than a sucky trip is a super-LONG sucky trip! Glad you got back safely!

Skeeter said...

You poor dear, first you get locked out of your house and now you have to deal with a storm while driving! As we like to say in the south, Bless your heart!

Amy said...

Ugh, sounds like it wasn't a fun trip :(

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear! I plan for us to stop at EVERY SINGLE rest stop on road trips, and poor Ben has had to add at leats half an hour to every estimated arrival as a result. But hey, girls need bathroom breaks!!! I HATE driving through blinding rain, especially when I'm not familiar with the route. Guess I'd call myself a "storm flee-er." I think your questions are great, Cinj! I'm used to seeing street signs before the street, but up here, they position them behind the street--i.e., after you should have already turned. All I can say is, GRRRRRR!!!!! Glad you got back safe.--Silence

Unknown said...

Tina- Yes, DO take breaks when you drive so much.

Debbi- I don't mind it as long as it's not raining hard. Oh, did I mention that my windsheild wiper broke too? Luckily it was the passenger side. I suppose I should replace that soon, preferably before the next storm I get stuck in.

Gail- Normally I would have pulled over. We had time contstraints so I couldn't. What a trip!

Lisa- That's for sure. At least the non-driving part was nice.

Skeeter- Thanks. I hated the driving portion, but I'd do it again. Well, maybe not the getting locked out of the house part.

Amy- Well, I suppose I'm being a bit unfair. I didn't mention some of the better parts of the trip. Maybe in another post. I sure felt good helping MIL get to her sister's funeral.

Silence- Umm, I don't know if you've been to many rest stops in WI. If it's not on a freeway chances are the rest stops don't have running water which means they stink to high heaven (if you catch my drift). I prefer to stop at the gas stations and restaurants when I'm on a trip up here. Not that I prefer to spend the money, but I hate to listen to Peanut whine. Well, she didn't come on THIS particular trip but in case you're ever planning a trip to WI....

I like that, storm flee-er. Yup, that's what we did when we finally got ahead of the storm! It sure took long enough though.

Anonymous said...

It's not safe to stop at rest stops. Either you are going get mugged or you are going to die of some exotic disease. I don't want either. I'm going to stay home from now on.

You have a lot of good tid bits and questions along with great observations about driving. You are good at thinking! I bet you are a great conversationalist. So..I'm a storm hider. I would get under the bed if I would fit.

The only long trip I go on is 5 hours away to the beach. I wish they would move the beach to central NC.

I don't drive in the rain cause I can't see when it's a clear day much less raining to beat the hogs. I'm so glad you made it home safely cause that was really dangerous.

I had to laugh at you riding in the funeral line. I've never been that far out front either cause dh can't stand to be locked in. He drives in back on purpose. Good post...and still like the locked outside post the best.

Skeeter said...

I remember hubby and I driving down the interstate during a heavy rain and our wiper flying off the car! It was so funny but we could not see a thing! We were hanging out the window trying to clear the rain off with an old shirt. We were too broke to pull over and buy a new one! Not to mention hubby would not slow down for anything. Had to make that good time you know... LOL...

Unknown said...

Anna- LOL! Not too many muggings happening at rest stops where there's only one car desperate enough to stop. If I HAVE to stop there I just squat above the hole in the ground though and hold my breath.

I don't usually drive long distances either, but circumstances called me to help out MIL. I'd never have driven in the pouring rain like that if I hadn't had to. I just felt this compulsion to keep on driving. I prayed in my head and just kept on going.

I think if Cheesehead would have been with we wouldn't have been so far up in line either. He's not too sociable and doesn't like to be forced to do things. Why do you think I've never been far up in line? Sounds like he and your dh would get along well too.

Skeeter- Wow, that sounds like quite the story. Very hubby like though.