Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Preparing for the Dogs

Monday is MIL's sister's funeral. Since Cheesehead wasn't able to get off of work, we are watching MIL's dog (and ours). Angel hasn't been to the "new" house yet. I use that term relatively loosely since we've lived here two years.

Angel stayed with MIL and FIL when we were in the moving process. Speedy and Sweetie did too, until we bought our new house and closed on it. After the house became ours, it was our intention to bring all of the pets here. They stayed until September when we actually closed on this house, about 3 and a half months in all. In that amount of time FIL had really bonded with Angel.

He had collapsed at work from a seizure a couple of weeks after Cheesehead started his new job. He wasn't able to work in that amount of time, so he spent all of his time at home with the dogs. When it came time to take the pets home, we had just found out FIL was given a year to live. He was so sad that we were taking his Angel away from him. We just didn't have the heart to take her away. We took the cats and went on our merry way. Once FIL died last year MIL had also become attatched to her. She was very depressed and we though Angel could help her cope with her loss so she still stayed.

Now MIL needs to go to Iowa for her sister's funeral but doesn't have the money to pay for a kennel. I know BIL would prefer a kennel since he calls Angel "his" dog and I think he knows once she comes home with us, she won't want to leave with them.

Their dog Beauty is a complete spaz because she lacks the training that I gave to Angel. I just know she's going to drive me completely bonkers! I dragged the dog kennel up by the house since we only have 3 sides, that way I'll have a place to send naughty dogs without having to worry about what they'll do to the baby birds in the front yard. Cheesehead was worried I'd want to attach the kennel to the house. I'd rather get another panel for it so I have a way to protect my future vegetable garden from the deer. I don't want to leave holes in the siding when I move it for my garden.

I also moved the cat food dish up high so the dogs wouldn't eat it all. I investigated baby gates in town to keep them away from the litter boxes, but I decided I'd try to put the end pannels of Peanut's old crib across the door to keep them out of there instead of having to spend all of that money on something we won't need for long. After all, I'm sure we'll get those doors stained and installed soon.

I think we're about ready for them now. We are meeting them in Catawba tomorrow to get the dogs. The kids are so excited.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

5 comments:

The Diva said...

It sounds like you're as ready as you can be for the visiting dog onslaught. Hope all goes well, and I'm sorry about your MIL's funeral.~~Dee

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I'm sorry for your loss Cindy, it sounds like you will have some adventure to share! Hugs to you!

Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

Cinj, I hope you get your Angel back! I know you all would love to have her, and your new place sounds really dog-perfect! Fingers crossed.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

It was so nice of you to let them share Angel for all that time. I am sure it really helped them cope with everything. I know it must have been hard to do. I hope you have a good visit with the dogs(-:

Unknown said...

Dee- Thanks, the visit is going well so far! MIL and her sister were very close, so it's been hard for her. If it hadn't been for them I'm not sure how she would have been able to keep her house. I know it will be hard for her, but it's better for her sister not to have to suffer any more.

Kathi- I may have an adventure yet!

Ben- Angel appears very comfortable here, like she's been here the whole time. Beauty whines at me occassionally, but she's not even being her normal spaz self. Weird!

Cindee- So far so good. Yay. What was I worried about anyway? I swear I worry WAY too much. No wonder my Star Wars personality quiz says I'm like C3PO!