Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Bountiful Blessings

Some people may be a bit skeptical about these so-called blessing of mine, but I'll let you be the judge. We had a busy morning today. It was cooler than it has been for a while and the breeze was blowing.

The next week is supposed to be humid and rainy, the perfect morning to get a load of work done! I was going to wait to plant any new plants, but with all of the rain that's supposed to be headed our way I decided not to wait.

First I planted the hostas that Lisa was so kind to send me. I know I said I was going to wait until fall, but I decided that I had to time to baby them and I want to get them firmly established before the frigid winter winds start to blow. I'll expand the shade garden in the spring instead. On the way to the shade garden, look what I found!



Cute baby toads. The ground seemed to be alive with these things. Everywhere I walked I spotted one hopping along somewhere. Where in the world did they all come from? The kids picked a few up to observe for a while. The toads didn't seem to like it though, so they didn't stay very long.

I also wanted to get my asparagus planted. Yup, I went and got a GREAT after season clearance deal on a wonderfully huge plant. It was orignally selling for $10 and I got it for only $3! Soon we'll be enjoying asparagus again. I put it in the mulched area by the house in the side yard. I hope this spot is sunny enough for it to grow abundantly, I'll get those kids to like it yet. I've decided I want to learn how to can and preserve foods that grow around here. That way we can live on God's blessings for a while and stretch our budget to include more fun family activities instead of using all of our hard earned money for buying food.



Look what I found when I was planting the asparagus. I'll have to find out what kind of wonderfully beautiful butterfly this little fella is going to be. I know they don't all turn out to be the best, but I like it when they're fluffy.

Then it was on to deadheading the petunias. It wasn't SO bad, but such a tedious job. I do want to get more blooms this summer though so it's a job I wanted to get out of the way.

As I wandered to the back yard to put the spent heads into the compost pile, I was reminded of the tree we discussed this spring.



You were right, it is a cherry tree! We grill out by this tree quite often all year long, even going so far as to shovel an area in front of the grill in the winter time. There weren't any fruits on this tree last year, REALLY. Not that I'm complaining. I hope the birds leave me a few of them to attempt to make some jelly later this season. I've never actually made jelly before, but I hope to be able to figure out how.

The compost pile is near our cook out area. As I passed by the grill I remembered that I needed to make a new handle for it. The old handle was broken off when a violent hail storm knocked it down 3 years ago.

I hope my fix works out, I used a 5/8 dowel rod and two "L" brackets. I've been meaning to get to that job for a couple of years now. Have you ever done that? You buy the materials to fix something right away and then they sit around for a long time before you get around to doing it?

I used some more of the dowel to fix Cheesehead's prized wooden lawn ornament that was damaged during the same storm. I need to find a couple of missing pieces before that job is completely done, but I got a good start on it anyway!

Once I had finally made a new handle for the grill and painted it to protect it from the elements, I decided to sand the rust spots and paint those too. To protect all of the work I had just done, I was going to clean off the grill cover that's been on the ground for quite some time.

Long enough in fact, to become a nursery of sorts... Look what was in there!



Not only was there a baby rodent, but also



an ant nursery. Those ants sure were scurrying to move the babies somewhere safe.

I decided the grill has gone without a cover for this long, a couple more weeks won't cause any major harm to it, right? So, we put the grill cover back as closely to it's original position as we could without spilling the precious cargo inside. The poor baby mouse sounded awfully scared squeaking while we moved it around, the mom came by to see what was going on. We decided to go inside so she could check on the safety of her baby.

When we got inside, we called Grandma. Peanut told her what we saw today she asked if we killed the mice. What harm is a couple of critters anyway? As long as they aren't in my house, I don't mind them. That baby is so new it has very little fur and it's eyes were still tightly closed. Was I supposed to kill one of God's magnificent creatures on the off chance that it may get into my house? I'm sure the wonder cats wouldn't be all that helpful if that should happen, but I've dealt with rodents before.

Now it's thundering and I'm feeling pretty good about all of the work that got finished today. I hope that the plants get plenty of water in the next few days.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

11 comments:

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

You are truly blessed Cindy, and so am I for getting to know you :). Every last thing you talked about today was a gift from God, isn't that awesome!

I hope you have a glorious Sonday!
Hugs,
Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a busy day with all the critters and the plants you need to get in the ground as well as other various projects. The cherry tree is pretty cool, I can't wait to see your jelly recipe.

Anonymous said...

You are quite obviously a woman of many talents! And you're not a baby-killer!(I say in jest). That is an awfully cute toad and caterpillar. I haven't seen a nice, furry caterpillar in I don't know how long. I haven't seen my toad, Tommy, in a few days. Hope something didn't get him. I was getting attached to the little feller!
Brenda

garden girl said...

Aw, cute toads! Looks like you've got lots of critters making babies at your house!

Your cherries look delicious Cinj.

Congrats on your productive day. Hopefully you're rewarding yourself with a relaxing Sunday evening.

Skeeter said...

The Saint and I were visiting my parents and we decided to grill. Started the thing and had a blazing flame shooting out from below. Upon investigation, a Chipmunk had stored tons of peanuts (in shell) in the grill. Too funny.... That winter they found peanuts stashed all over the garage.

Unknown said...

Kathi- I know, isn't it wonderful? I'm so glad we moved here. Now I just need to find a church to join.

PG- It sure was. Can you believe I did all that work before 2 in the afternoon? I even made a large healthy dinner for the family after blogging.

Brenda- Really? I don't know if I'm all that talented, but I like to pretend to be anyway. Toads are good at hiding. I haven't seen any of our parents in a while either.

Linda- I know. Who would have ever guessed that? I did ancestry research and transcribing / organizing my records. Does that sound relaxing?

Skeeter- Um, at least they didn't have to go through all the work of gathering those peanuts themselves?? LOL.

Anonymous said...

You are so up these days and it shows. I'm glad to see you enjoying your home now with less worries and more talk about blessings. I am envious that you live out in the woods--minus the bears. I do not like bears.

Unknown said...

Anna- Well, the woods are affordable when you live in a fairly unpopulated area. Now if THIS house were back in MN on the acreage we're on in the town we were in, I'd hate to think how much it would cost!

I haven't seen any bears here. Funny you should mention that. The kids were afraid to go outside the first 2 summers we were here because they were afraid of bears. I guess they're getting braver now that we've been here for a while.

That brings me to a question, you know like the tree falling in the woods sort. If you're in the woods and don't see a bear, does that mean they don't exsist?

ChrisND said...

That fuzzy caterpillar look like ones we used to see as kids...don't know what the adult will look like though. Those little toads are kind of cute. We followed a bunch of those with friends of my little niece (the frogs and tadpoles were just too quick).

Anonymous said...

You sure were busy and have a lot going on there. I can't believe all the animals and plants you have around your house! It's pretty amazing.

lisa said...

I'm glad you got so much done and enjoyed it along the way...hope the hostas do well for you! They should since you take such good care of your plants. :) You may not see bears around your place ever, but if they find any bird seed you put out, they will visit regularly until/unless they are hunted. I've lived in this house for 10 years, and didn't see a bear right near the house until 2005...and he was BIG. The next spring he tore into my bird feeders 3 times, then I never saw another close by. I think he was shot the same fall after the feeder incident, because somebody got a new state record bear in Porterfield which is only 8 miles away. (I read somewhere their range can be as much as to 35 miles.) It was 660 lbs., and "my" bear was easily that big. His back was nearly as high as the hood of my 4x4 truck....not even exaggerating. I'm not against hunting, and honestly I don't miss him...not that close to the house, y'know?