Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Question

Look what FINALLY bloomed for me today! I was so excited that the first thing I did was run inside to grab my camera. I've been watching it swell bigger and bigger for weeks now, just DYING for it to open. It's even more beautiful than I remembered.



When I saw that 2 out of 3 of my blooms finally opened today I had to snap a picture. Maybe I should have waited for the petals to completely unfurl, but it struck me a so gorgeous that I just couldn't have the patience to wait any longer.

Let me tell you a bit of what I observed about this lovely lily. It appears to be a stargazer lily, but I don't remember ever planting one. The petals appear to have fine hair like things covering the insides. It is very strongly scented too, in a good way.

My question is... do these lilies rebloom if I were to cut the lilies before they are completely spent? I know I can't bring them inside to enjoy (stupid cats!), and I'd hate to cut down such a lovely flower without reason. I am leaving it for the wildlife to enjoy for now. I guess I don't know a whole heck of a lot about keeping my perrenials blooming longer or if that's even possible with most varieties.

If anyone knows any info, I would appreciate your help!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does look like a star gazer. I don't know anything about growing them or whether or not they rebloom. That sure is pretty.

Anonymous said...

I don't think they rebloom necessarily. They tend to make a number of buds each year and when those are done it's over until another season. That has been my experience with Lillies.

tina said...

I'm with PG, no rebloom. Once its over, its over. Do cut off the spent flowers though so the plant doesn't waste energy making seeds.

Skeeter said...

It is a beauty! I have lilies for the first time this year and have enjoyed them...

garden girl said...

Cinj, looks like a stargazer to me too. I can just about smell it from here. Mmmmm. . . heavenly! I haven't been able to keep the squirrels from digging up and carting off my lily bulbs, and gave up on them for now, but have a plan for covering them next year.

Stargazers are one of my favorites! I'm with PG and Tina - they don't rebloom, but remove the spent flowers. I'll add: don't cut down the foliage, as, like daffodils, they need it to die back on its own in order to nourish the bulb and bloom in subsequent years. Lucky you - this gives a new meaning to surprise lilies!

Anonymous said...

It's a good looking bloom, and open enough to show it's beauty. I often get excited when a perennial flowers and take photos of blooms that are much less open than this to go with my posts.
Aren't beautiful perennials that come by surprise fun? I've puzzled over how a couple of perennials got into my garden too.

Unknown said...

Well, I didn't think it would rebloom since it took so long in the first place. I figured it would hurt to ask though. It's up by the house so hopefully the squirrels won't bother it. I tend to leave all foliage alone so I can find where my plants grew the year before. I tend to be a bit forgetful as to locations and plant numbers.

Thanks for all of the input. Well, I'll check in to more blogs later. For now it's off to football practice for the forth night in a row. SIGH.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the answer to your question. (But I wish I had that lovely specimen in my yard!) But had to tell you that Bonnie the white cat eats all the flowers I bring in too, so I'm in the same boat!
Brenda

Unknown said...

Brenda- Annoying, isn't it? Luckily it's cool enough for me to spend quite a bit of time outside, so I'm not as annoyed as I could be.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj. I agree with what's already been said. I have a stargazer lily also and while it's gorgeous when blooming (like yours) once it's done, it's done. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

It's beautiful, enjoy it they don't last long. Once it blooms it's done and they don't last long for some reason but they sure are pretty, all of mine are blooming right now, it's beautiful :)

Unknown said...

Kathleen- I will!

Kathi- I suppose that beauty isn't meant to last, even in flowers. Have you ever noticed how the more plain flowers seem to last a lot longer? I think that's pretty much the same as it is in real life too. I must say I'm glad to be plain, then I won't shrivel up before my time (I hope).

lisa said...

Gorgeous! I have 3 new stargazer lilies opening this year, and so far only my mostly white one is open. Don't you just LOVE the fragrance?! I can smell it all over the yard.