Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Better Than Christmas... Almost!

I was so excited when I got the mail yesterday. My Great Aunt also does family ancestry research, she was kind enough to copy and send me some of the information that she has as well as some pictures. That's what came in the mail. My hands trembled as I ripped open the tape of the manilla envelope. Hopefully I will get to ask her some questions about her sister, my grandmother that I never even got the chance to meet too.

As I've been looking through the information that she sent, I have been discovering a whole bunch of people that I never even knew belonged to my family tree. I am also remembering some things that I had actually known, but simply forgot about. I guess that's what I get for not going to those family reunions that they hold every year, not knowing my family. I feel a sense of urgency now to find out all that I can from those who know much more than me. If only I had thought to write down all of the stories that my grandparetns used to bore me with. What on earth was I thinking? Now I think that kind of thing is just fascinating.

I never realized when I was younger just how important that family really is. It's amazing what we learn as we get older. So, while this day isn't quite as spiritual as Christmas is, I was giddy just the same.

I have also had some contact with people who have been able to identify the names of some of the faces in the pictures that my dad had. Progress is wonderful! Now if I could just get the basement finished I'd be in heaven.

Well, off to get Peanut from the bus and get ready for company to come tomorrow. MIL is coming to get Peanut off to school Friday so I can take Son down to Marshfield for an entire day of medical appointments starting at 8 am. It's a 2 hour drive from here. Doesn't that sound like a nice, full filled day?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Family history is fascinating, isn't it, Cinj? I just love to picture my grandparents when they were just beginning their marriage, and to this day, I'm fond of everything about that era because I was so fond of them. Good for you for getting the stories while you still can! And good luck with all those wretched doctors' appointments!

Cindy said...

I love doing family history research. It's like a puzzle or a mystery somehow. Find out all you can and keep it for you kids, they'll be interested someday I'm sure.

Skeeter said...

The Saint and I are going to have a family vacation with his family in a few weeks. We plan to see some of the old family plots that his dad turned up while doing their family research... Should be interesting...

Hope all goes well at the docs...

Anonymous said...

Yes, by all means learn all you can now & be sure to WRITE it down. Don't be like me & rely on your memory. I have my ancestry on my mothers mothers side back to 1600. Cool, Huh. I also have another branch from the same person from 1600. Books have been written & as one author said, "It is a never ending story". New facts are uncovered, new additions---but most of all get documentation.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I hope all goes well with all the physicians tomorrow & do be careful on the roads.

tina said...

It is neat you can identify people in old pictures. No, being gone all day to medical appointments does not sound like fun. Take care.

Linda said...

Genealogy is so fascinating. I've been working on our for several years now and have made contact with relatives I didn't know existed. And just recently a long, lost cousin made contact with me.
Enjoy doing your family research.

Gail said...

Cinj,

Now that it is too late to get the family info...I find I really want to know! Someday your son and daughter will appreciate the history as you do now!

Have a safe trip and good luck.

Gail

garden girl said...

How exciting Cinj!

My maternal grandma was a wonderful story teller, and my great uncle did a lot of geneological research. There is something very special about knowing your family's history and passing it down to your children. Even as a kid I found such fascination and joy in learning about my ancestors. I'm so happy that my kids value their family history as well, and plan to pass on their knowledge to their own children.

Anonymous said...

It's always good to know from where we come. I'm glad you got this wonderful present from your Aunt.~~Dee

lisa said...

Very exciting! I hope you can enjoy some familt fact-finding while you wait during all those appointments. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I hope your son is going to be Ok. Hopefully you'll find out some things to help him.

You know I love genealogy. You will have many more awakening of old stories and that will lead to more questions. It is fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh BTW Gail, it is never too late.

Unknown said...

Ben- It is very fascinating. I have been spending lots of time adding all of my new content. The more I find, the more I want to find out.

Cindy- I am! I am also putting all of the information that I find on ancestry.com. That way I don't have to meet a person for them to find out a new story. Although it is always wonderful to meet far flung relatives! Son has seemed pretty interested in the stuff I've found out. I'm also trying to upload all of the pictures I have. It will take a while, but it's worth it to help my family members learn the story of their family.

Skeeter- That sounds like an adventure. I plan on visiting as many plots as I can, taking pictures of them and logging as much info as possible. Someday....

Lola- That's for sure, my memory is pretty bad so everything I find out is getting recorded as soon as possible.

I agree, it is never too late! There may be a long lost great aunt or cousin out there that's still alive out there that can help you get the information you seek.

Tina- Isn't it though? I wish my aunt would pop over there as I'm sure she could fill in most of the rest of those blanks for me.

Crafty- I am enjoying this immensely. I am hoping to find more relatives too, but I've been finding a lot out there.

Gail- It's never too late! As Lola said. There are others out there that you may not yet be aware of. Joining ancestry.com has helped me to find some of those people and stories I may not have known about otherwise. I think it's one of the best things I've ever done with my money!

Linda- That's wonderful! Did you write down what you know for them? I found that when I was younger I always planned to remember so much and now I need to have other people tell me the stuff that I once "knew" so I can remember it.

Dee- Thanks! It is wonderful, isn't it? So many people seem to think they have nothing to do with history, it's sad really that those stories will get lost in time.

Lisa- I brought the packet with, but with so much running around we barely had time to read it.

Anna- Thanks, I hope I am able to find some help for him too. The nutritionist and doctor both said we were already doing many things right, so I am feeling pretty hopeful that we will be able to turn this around somehow!