Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Why Do I Blog?

Karen at Artist's Garden asked us why we blog.

I originally started blogging to keep in touch with people I alredy knew. I could check in with what they were doing any time of day and stay and visit as long as I wanted without being a pest. As you may know, I CAN be known to be a bit gabby at times. LOL.

I started out on myspace because I have a bunch of friends and relatives that were already members there. The site is free and there were quite a few people that I wanted to keep in touch with on there.

I started an outside blog because my friend Syl had an msn account and never really went to myspace. Well, myspace tends to have a few problems with letting non members view photos and blogs from what I've heard too.

We chatted merily on occassion with our msn blogs (which I still have but have converted it to an ancestry blog) when they changed things over there. This caused Syl and all of her friends to leave msn in drovers to blogger accounts. Wanting to stay in touch, I followed suit. I was now newly moved to a new town and had no friends to sit and chat with over here and was feeling rather lonely out in the middle of nowhere. I didn't blog as much then as I do now though. I viewed it as time consuming and I always seemed to have plenty to do.

My blogging has evolved since then too. You see, I was suffering depression and met a bunch of wonderful people on the HGTV chatrooms that I came to know and depend on for friendship. They could make me laugh and smile even on the darkest of days before I sought treatment for my illness. I was seeking help on how to get my house sold, it had been on the market for 18 months and I was really feeling the strain in all areas of my life. One of those dear friends is Anna aka Flowergardengirl.

If you know me at all, you may know that I sometimes tend to talk about things other than the topic of the blog. Apparently the powers that be didn't like our silliness and getting off topic so we were constantly getting our posts deleted. I was very upset as was Anna, so we moved our conversations out to the blog world instead. I have since stopped posting at the HGTV chatrooms as it seems that my account there has been frozen and they were accusing me of promoting my blog when I posted there. I had a link to my blog so we could all get together and be as off topic as we wanted without having to worry about our posts getting deleted. I left with an extremely heavy heart, many of my friends I made there still have never made their way to my blog. Maybe they never will, but I am on the road to recovery with my depression and it's all because of the kindness of "strangers". Anna told me about this great new little gardening community called Blotanical where she was spending lots of time so I thought I'd give it a try too.

Now I enjoy rushing inside after seeing something neat and interesting to chat with you about. As you can see I have been posting much more frequently here than I ever did on any of my other blogs! My early posts were few and far between and now I post at least a couple of times a week. I now blog to chat with my cyber buds that have helped me come so far in life who have helped me find my happy place once again.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your reasons all seem like very valid ones -- it's a good question, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I had my own battle with depression 10 years ago. Talking with friends is the best therapy in the world.

Anonymous said...

Ah - this is such a lovely post Cindy - depression really is the pits isn't it - I am so pleased that you are back in a happy place once again - there is something quite remarkable about the kindness of strangers.
Thank you so much for letting us know
Why you blog. And how important it is for you.
Warm regards
Karen

Skeeter said...

We live out in the middle of nowhere also. I dont work outside the home and we don’t have children. The Saint only has a hand full of co-workers and we dont have family near us. So we dont have a pile of friends like we always had with past moves. I too can get a bit depressed at times. This chatting on the Blogs is a way for me to have friends even though I may never meet some of you in person. But on a happy note, I have met several and feel as though I have known them for years! I need an outlet to chat other then the wild animals in my yard! lol

tina said...

So glad you found a link to help you through a rough time. Why bother with a third party when you can go out on your own and post whatever you want? You did the right thing.

Unknown said...

Hey everyone! Thanks for dropping by. It's amazing how many people's lives have been touched by depression, isn't it? Talking really is some of the best therapy.

Anonymous said...

Every person needs someone to talk to regardless about what. I've found I can come on here & comment about whatever. It doesn't matter. I've found it an outlet as I have no one around me that I can call a close friend. I had that before & I miss it.
Sometimes strangers are the best. Thanks for sharing. Glad you are much happier now.

lisa said...

Glad you found a nice home here at Blogger! I've never been to an HGTV chat room, and now I'm glad!

Anonymous said...

I am sure glad to know you. I don't believe in judging anyone cause we all have different circumstances to deal with. I'm sure no one understands why I am now on my 5th blog. Part of it is personality and the other is circumstance and personal growth. I've grown with each one.

You have grown too and become stronger due to circumstances. I've moved a lot and made many mistakes along the way. But the main thing is...did you grow and progress through each one? You did and one day soon...you'll be even further along.

Hugs Cinj--I appreciate your friendship.