Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Frustrated and Irritated

I may have mentioned a little over a week ago that I was in the process of assembling a home gym to some of you. I plan on getting back in shape so I can feel fit enough to keep up with the vegetable garden I plan on putting in next spring.

This particular home gym I bought with a little bit of our tax money going on 4 (or was it 5?) years ago. At least it made the move easier than it would have had I not been lazy and assembled it right away! Last weekend it finally made it out of the box it was purchased in and it got mostly assembled.

I like to assemble things and I can usually figure out how to put it together without any directions. It's a gift, don't ask me how it all comes so easy to me because I have NO idea. I often get recruited into building things for people. On our honeymoon I spent my days assembling our RTA furniture, but that's a story for another time.

Back to the point. I got it all completely put together in one day until I got to looping the pulleys and the uh... chain(?) to attach the weights. I got about 1/2 way done with that part last Sunday and decided to call it quits for the night, I haven't looked at it since then.

I worked two full days last week, cleaned the house, entertained company (MIL and BIL came over for a day to loan us some money to get our bills paid despite the banks' efforts to cause us to become behind on all of our bills), ran to assorted appointments, and all of the normal housewife-y type errands as well as transfering and opening a new checking account and all of that "fun" stuff.

I went downstairs to pick up where I left off and I found a jumbled mess.



They were all like that. I had 7 of the properly threaded and tightend into place. Apparently son has decided it would be a great way to exercise (even though no weights are hooked up yet) and got it all messed up. Now the cord is no longer resting where it belongs on the pulleys. I am going to have to undo all of the pulley work I had done and redo it all. This entails loosening the nuts and bolts and reexamining the diagram. ARGH!



Since the kids will be coming home in just 3 short hours I think I'll have to let this project wait yet again so I have time to get it finished without their... um, help?. I guess it's waited this long to be used, what's a few more days? Somehow I think the pulleys are going to take me longer to figure out than assembling the whole rest of the gym!

Well, I guess I need to go into town to run yet more errands, pick daughter up from school, watch son's basketball game, and come home in time to make dinner. Geez, when I "say" it out loud it sure sounds like an awful ot of work to do!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

12 comments:

themanicgardener said...

VERY frustrating. Any chance of getting said son to help take things apart? Or do you want him NEVER to touch the thing again?
--Kate

Nola said...

Good luck! I hate putting things together, I'll gladly pay someone else to hassle with putting together whatever I buy.

Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

It looks very high tech . . . as if you might be able to ride round town on it.

(But I suppose that would be missing the purpose?)

Lucy

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cinj, not only does your home gym look great, but it's in such a beautiful location! It should be a pleasure to exercise there! Uh, I don't suppose you're planning any trips to Pennsylvania this winter by any chance? I'm still trying to figure out how to install my new aquarium light...

Gail said...

Hi cinj,

So what did you end up doing or saying to your boy? Is the equipment back together? Kids are always into something.

Gail

Unknown said...

Kate- Well, I won't mind if he uses it but I couldn't stand to listen to him whine out his frustration at me so I think I'll save the job for myself.

Nola- Thanks. I wish I had the money, I may have even paid someone to take over that tedious task.

Lucy- LOL. It does, doesn't it?

Ben- You should have heard me snort when I read you response. Cheesehead was wondering what in the world was going on. If I ever get to Ohio to visit my sister I'd be most of the way there... Probably not this winter though, sorry.

Gail- We discussed it on the way home from basketball tonight. He apologized and promised not to touch it again until I told him it was ready. He is a good boy really, I just need to quit forgetting that he's really a kid still.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Sounds like something that would happen around here. Hope it goes back together easily.

Anonymous said...

It looks like a good one! You won't have to do much per day as long as you are consistent. I'm not consistent but I can tell you to do it.:) It is a gift to be able to see how something is going to go together. I can do it but Mr.D is the brains of the check book. Good luck with it all! You'll be glad come vege garden season.

Anonymous said...

At least you have the aptitude to assemble things Cinj!! I am hopeless at those sorts of things. I think putting it together is a fabulous goal tho ~ fitness is a major concern. I know we need a little more of it in our household but nothing will be started until we get thru the holidays!!

Lona said...

Your getting a lot of exercise putting that exercise equipment together ;)

Unknown said...

Debbi- Me too. I may have him help me this weekend. At least he was kind enough to apologize though.

Anna- I'll try, but it's hard. Once I get it all figured out and put together I'll feel better.

Kathleen- It is nice to find it so easy to do this stuff. I wish it was a skill I could teach, I bet it could earn me a bunch of money! Now if I could just transfer those skills to the pully system I'd be all set. Maybe when MIL and BIL are here to distract (er, take care of?) the kids I can finish the project. I always have such grand plans, if I could just follow through on all of them I'd be the most fit person in the world.

Unknown said...

Lona- I sure got a sore back when I put the weight part together. The rest wasn't too terribly bad though!