Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Life's Greatest Lessons

All of the recent ancestry research paired with the reading of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books has really helped me to identify with my ancestors. Some people may scoff and jeer at a woman of my age reading a "kid's" book, but I feel that it gives us a great insight into the way life used to be.

It shows us a way of living that most people don't choose to live anymore because it was too hard to make our own stuff. I suppose that it is easier to go to the store and buy a jar of apple sauce and to throw all of our gargage into the landfill instead of being creative with it's uses.

I can't help but think though how we can improve our soil with our garbage instead of putting it into a plastic bag. Those bones that most people like to toss in the garbage could be put to good use too once we boil the meat off. Wouldn't it make much cheaper bone meal for us if we were to use it instead of toss it? That meat that was boiled off the bone could be used in a soup too, a double bonus for a family that is struggling in our current economic crisis. The spoiled fruits and vegetable that would be thrown into the same plastic bag can be added to compost to add additional nutrients to our soil so that money wouldn't be completely wasted at least....

It's amazing how wasteful our society has become. Our older generations don't show us these frugal ways of living because so many of us prefer the easy way of living. Most of our parents aren't even aware of the ways our grandparents and great grandparents lived. It's too bad really.

Looking back over time I also can't help but wonder why the sudden onsurge of cancer, diabetes, and disease. These problems didn't used to exist at all. Why? I'd have to say that it's because of the additives, chemicals, and unnatural ways of eating that is all the craze in our country. I haven't done any scientific experiments to back up my claims, but if we just use our common sense I just can't help but thinking that my hunch is correct.

If we go back to the ways our grandparents and great grandparents used to live, our society wouldn't be such big consumers of goods and services either. Is that the reason for our struggling economy? It may be. Many people seem to be rediscovering the once lost wonders of our ancestors. Is that a bad thing? I can't help but think that it may not be so bad for us to live within our means rather than beyond them. It may be bad for our retirement accounts in the short term, but if we only spend what we have and figure out ways to save money on common every day items it will ultimately lead to a richer more fulfilling life.

I can't help but think that our pioneering ancestors had the right idea on how to live. Thank you for providing such a great example for us lazy Americans who live in such a prosperous nation that it may not even occur to them that it's possible to make our own soap.

I think I am going to try to follow that example more closely and I hope that my readers will too.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy
Post a Comment