Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Roses in November

I couldn't believe it when I saw this. Do you remember those roses I just bought recently for $1 each? We had a warm spell for a while and they started forming new buds. The temps have plummented again with average highs in the 40's and overnight temps in the 20's. Oh, did I mention the fact that it snowed again too? Welcome to winter!



I was amazed that the green bud released the petal coloring this late in the year. I wonder if I snipped them and brought them to a cat free room if they would burst into full bloom. The leaves are still green and everything. What a nice hearty plant I bought. I'm SO happy. I got 3 knockouts for $1 each. Can you believe my luck? If they're doing this well now I can only imagine what they'll be like in the spring!



I couldn't help but wonder as I looked at all of the buds on these plants if I could get some rose scent from any of them for that soap I'm still planning on doing. My craft room is almost ready for the projects I've got in store now. I need room to age the soaps for a couple of weeks after I make the soap and I need a secure location to do it in.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

15 comments:

garden girl said...

You won't know unless you try. Go for it Cinj!

Amy said...

What an amazing price! Rose scented soap would be wonderful, especially homemade soap :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

sorry I haven't been commenting lately. So much going on in my life I feel drained and not enough energy to stop by. I will soon though I promise. I hope you are doing well(-:

Anonymous said...

How about that Cinj--a rose! I will be anxious to see how well it does in your garden. If they are like mine--you won't be disappointed. I like your new header and blog look. Very pretty.

tina said...

Isn't that just great?! Nice way to brighten the day.

Unknown said...

Linda- I'll cut them and bring them in, but it doesn't sound like I'd have enough roses to make any rose oil.

Amy- I know! It's one of my favorites so if it doesn't work out this year I'm going to do it next year instead.

Cindee- That's too bad. I hope you feel better soon. I know what you mean about being busy, wait until you see what I've been doing lately. I haven't visited many people recently either, but I'm SO excited about my projects I just keep slogging on.

Anna- The ones I have in my back yard did well. I'll probably transplant them in the spring though. Apparently yhe spot that's so nice and sunny in the winter isn't so sunny in the spring and summer. I hope to get enough roses next year to make my own rose oil from them. I'll have to wait and see how that goes though!

Tina- I know! Who would have thought roses would be so kind as to try to bloom for me in November? I'd better get those buds brought inside before they freeze their little petals off!

Skeeter said...

I told you that you may have color to report for bloom day in the winter! :-) Ha, really still fall but with your snow, I am saying you are past fall and into winter...

Gail said...

Snow already! I would snip those buds and give them a try!

Unknown said...

Skeeter- You were right. I guess I've been living in lala land since I got depression and didn't notice these "little" things.

Gail- I've been waited to let them dry off a little bit, but I think I'm going to do it today. I've got lots on my list to do today though, we'll see if I get to it all.

Nola said...

Your roses are beautiful against a background of sleet/snow.
Your comment on my post said your hubby doesn't like candles. Neither does mine, but he dislikes the scent, which is what I love; I get the strongest scents I can find, I love spicy stuff like clove, patchouli, amber, and sandalwood. I burn them during the day while he's gone, along with an electric potpouri pot with melted wax!

Victoria Williams said...

So did you snip the rose bud and bring it inside? Very cool.

Anonymous said...

You just can't beat Knockouts for blooms. They are the hardiest roses I have in my garden & will bloom right up till the first or second killing frost. They are also the first blooms in the late spring of all my roses. I can't believe you are getting snow already.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Yes, mine look just like yours now, I guess because we're sister states :). In the spring they will be beautiful once again, cover them with lots of leaves.

lisa said...

I don't know what's more amazing-the roses or that snow! I got a dusting the other day, yet I have NO blooms left. Enjoy the blooms while you can, I'm sure they'll go nuts next year.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Those are some tough Roses. Mine hasn't had a chance to put out anymore blooms since the deer have discovered it.