Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Our Finished Basment (FINALLY!)

Some of you may have seen the post I did a couple of days ago about 2008 in review. I thought our greatest accomplishments were our shed and the basement. Since you have already seen the shed pictures shared on my blog, I though I'd share our other pet project of the year.

Our basement started out a normal run of the mill type basement. The spaces were wide open except for the supports and the stairs located in the middle of it. We found it rather odd though that the utlities were so widely spread out. We were forced to have two different utility/storage areas because of this.

I had some pictures of the basement before we did any work, but they must still be locked in the memory of my old computer. I guess that will teach me not to back up my files! I may one day find a way to unlock that computer, until then I'll have to improvise.



It stays pretty warm down there despite the fact that we haven't had money to install supplemental heating yet. We did insulate the walls on the exterior walls. Cheesehead and I did most of the work except for the drywalling which we hired out.



It was a bit difficult working down there while also trying to store 1/2 a house worth of furniture in the two storage areas and garage, but we got it done. As you can see, it was piled pretty high. Dry wall dust is a killer too, so we put plastic up to help keep our furniture clean.



This might look a little strange to you, but we wanted to build a bathroom without having to break holes in the cement. Our solution was to buy a lift station for our basement bathroom. This required a series of steps in the bathroom, so we decided to go all out and put in a tub/shower down there too.



The drywall was done early this year... in February I think it was. Then came the tedious job of painting. Drywall soaks paint up like crazy, so we used primer for a less expensive way to get the walls covered. We used a different color in each room.



The bathroom used the rest of the left over paint we had bought to stage our house in MN. I like the color, don't you? It also looks great with the leftover tiles from our kitchen and entry way remodels over at the old house. Boy, seems like we used a lot of leftovers around here! The accessories in our bathroom were purchased to stage our old house too. I think that the white looks nice with our floors and wall color choices.



The faucets were bought on black Friday. Apparently I didn't have to go quite as early as I did, but I guess I was better safe than sorry. Cosmetically our bathroom looks finished, but alas we are still not up and running with that yet. I am also still planning on grouting the tiles.



Peanut's room color came from a mixing of our paints from the old house. We had several cans with varying amounts of paint in them. I decided rahter than dispose of them I'd mix them all together and see what we came up with. The color ended up being almost the color of Pepto Bismol. She loved the color so we didn't even have to buy any paint for her room.



Son's room paint had been chosen for our master bedroom when we first moved in. It didn't match the bedspread that MIL bought for me for Christmas last year, but I thought it looked great with son's green furniture. Green and gold, it's his dream come true. A Green Bay Packer colored bedroom!



Our family room is a nice place for us to sit and visit. I showed you the workout angle before when I showed you that gym I put together so I thought I'd show you a comfy place where we could sit and chat.

I don't know if you can really see the green color on the accent wall in the corner, but it is also another free cycle paint.

Cheeshead had some friends come over that helped with the flooring and various other tasks. We aren't exactly handy at laying carpet if you know what I mean. He did a very nice job of putting down the laminate flooring that we bought on clearance.

We have a few finish details left to do, but they aren't obvious enough to show up in pictures. I'm so glad to have most of this behind me!

I have been babbling about my craft room too, but it is nowhere near ready for display yet. It won't be finished like these other rooms, rather I am working on getting it organized and easier to work in.

New year, new basement! I hope you all have a wonderful new year!

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

15 comments:

tina said...

It looks great Cinj! You all did a grand job. I really like the orange of your son's room. The steps up in the bathroom look good too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj, your bathroom is fantastic, I think I have that same light fixture in mine! I like the steps into the bathtub too, like a roman bath! We are do it your selfers too, I hate drywall! All your colors are wonderful, even the pepto bismol if she loves it, great! May you have a wonderful 2009!
Frances

Anonymous said...

You & Cheesehead have been busy this year! I love the way the bathroom turned out, great job. Very clever raising it off the cement floor. Recycling & reusing what we have already is a great way to save money when doing DIY & decorating. I do it all the time myself! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone, the bathroom looks great! And I know what you mean about having it behind you. Hubby and I built our home and it took us 4 years, now we are enjoying it. Happy New Year!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. it feels wonderful to finish parts of your home like that. To put your own stamp on your home is a comfort I think. We have moved so much with hubby in the military, I just never pictured a home at the end of the road. But we have a great little nest and we are happy nesters ? LOL
But .. there is always another project to accomplish .. this coming year it is the deck and shed for us : )
Great job and have a very Happy New Year girl .. you really earned it !

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Happy New Year Cindy!!!!
I hope you have a extra fantastic 2009!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Tina- Thanks, it sure took a lot of time. I think it was time well spent though. We didn't want to do just tiles so we thought some pine accents would dress it up a bit.

Frances- Thanks! I got that light fixture at Costco a couple of years ago for $10 (or was it 20?) and we just held onto it forever. We were going to put in in the guest bathroom but decided we could live with that light fixture and saved ourselves some extra work and expense.

Have a great year!

Racquel- We sure have, haven't we? Now you know why there are days I haven't gotten around to everyone's blogs to comment!

Thanks. I think the bathroom is one of my favorite achievements. Now we just need to run the water pipes. I wonder how much longer that's going to take us....

Dawn- Thanks. I've been thinking about entering it into the BHG contest, do you think we'd even get close?

It's so nice when we can finally relax and enjoy our hard work.

Joy- I know. I don't understand when people insist that they need move in ready homes. How can you make it yours if you leave it exactly as the previous owners had it?

I don't think the project list will ever get any shorter. The tasks just hopefully get a bit smaller. Thanks. You have a great year too!

Cindee- Thanks. You too.

Anna/Flowergardengirl said...

Cinj, that is grand! I love it. You saved a ton of money by doing it all. I would not attempt it. MrD can build a shed but not electrical and plumbing. Some skills such as that are priceless.

I remember you mixed the paint to save money too. On my puter, it's a lovely shade of pinkish violet. Was there some violet mixed in? It looks girlie and just right for a little girl. Every little girl thing out there has that pink in it.

Your son's room is very Green Bay Packers and just right for his personality. He'll remember it forever. And you'll look back on it with love in your heart.

The family room will be a teenage haven in the future. I use to have a house like yours and loved it from the time my kids were little till we left last year. It was a wonderful home for hiding noise and toys.

And the bathroom is really pretty. It is never wrong to put in a bathroom. That alone adds more value than you put in the whole renovation. Good thinking.

Happy New Year babes! We'll be here for each other for many years to come. Hugs to ya.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cinj. You all are industrious! I'm impressed that you can start all these projects and FINISH them! It looks great and I'm sure you're very happy to have a useable basement. Mine is unfinished but I wouldn't have a clue where to start!

Unknown said...

Anna- Thanks! I'm SO glad to have it done and be able to get all settled in. It sure has taken long enough, hasn't it? Electrical and plumbing isn't so bad, it's anything to do with gas I'm leary of. We are really a good team, I figure out the little detail stuff and he does much of the work.

Yes, there is lavendar in the mix. Also mauve and a tiny bit of burgandy along with pink. I like it and the color looks fairly true (well, on MY screen anyway....).

The family room is already the kids' favorite hangout. Maybe sometime they'll have some friends over again.

Happy New year to you too! I'm just glad 2008 is behind us now.

Kathleen- Thanks. I'm pretty proud. It's even better that we actually finished it. We just took it by baby steps, but if you don't need the extra space save yourself a headache!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cinj, first that wonderful shed, and now this fantastic living space! (I don't think you can really call it a "basement" anymore---it's more like an extra floor.) The bathroom's gorgeous, and the bedrooms and family room are fantastic, too. I loved the workout area as well! You all deserve to be showcased on a TV home program! What a great new year's gift to yourselves!!!

Barbee' said...

You two are some of the smartest people I know! It looks wonderful! Thank you for the tour, I love it!

Gail said...

Cinj,

Aha the finished basement I asked about! It is terrific! You do know that I have basement envy don't you? I have it every time I see a basement. Many homes in the midsouth are basementless. Can you believe that? Neither can I!

Gail

Unknown said...

Ben- Thanks. What an extreme compliment! I do feel like we've accomplished a lot this year. I'm not sure that any tv show would want to showcase our work, but it sure gives me a nice feeling to hear others say that.

Barbee- *Blush* You're too kind. I enjoyed giving you the tour.

Gail- It sure is good to have that off my mind. When we looked for a home a basement was a must. Up here we've got sandy soil so basements aren't so hard to dig. I assume that must be the reason for no basemements anyway, otherwise the builders would have to be crazy. It's nice to have a safe place to go in case of a tornado or something.

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Wow! You've done some awesome work and saved a lot of money in the process....now I need to get busy! Everything looks great Cinj! :)