Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Strep Throat

Poor Peanut. How many days has she suffered now? But she acted like she was completely better yesterday so I didn't take her in to see a doctor as I had planned. She never really said much of anything about a sore throat, so I didn't really think much about that being a possibility.

She started acting sick again last night around dinner time (well, whining anyway) but I thought she was being her usual drama queen self. Isn't that horrible of me? But she hasn't eaten much in days so a stomache is bound to hurt when you're unusually hungry.

In the middle of the night she spiked a fever again. It was midnight. I was ready to take her to the doctor right then and there. Cheesehead said the roads would be too bad and Peanut said she was too tired and wanted to sleep first so we waited the night out. I slept fit fully and had a bunch of strange dreams. I'm sure she didn't sleep well either. I couldn't stand it anymore and just got myself up out of bed.

As the sky lightened up, I saw that super thick fog blocked my view to even be able to see the road in front of our house. It was raining this morning too while I awaited the troops' awakening. Luckily it is 41 degrees outside so the snow and ice was mostly melted off the roads. I took a shower and surfed around on the internet while I anxiously awaited their awakening.

I strong armed everyone into going to the walk in clinic this morning since the weather will be turning bad again tonight and tomorrow. We're supposed to get more rain and 3-5 more inches of snow. The weather will also turn colder so the roads will become icy again. Once she woke up I took her temperature and it was back up to 101. We bundled her up and got ready to leave.

Not much traffic was out this morning, the killer fog hung thick in the air. Peanut counted 100 cars (including those sitting in parking lots) during the 12 mile car ride to the doctor. She's been a real trooper, very brave and listening well. Cheesehead came with us too, which was nice. That way she didn't have to get dragged into the store when I went to get her prescription, more drinks, and more fever reducer medicine.

She was feeling so under the weather that she didn't get out of her pj's to go to the doctor. Everyone in the office admired her new Christmas pajamas. I told them I wished they made them in adult sizes. She has those warm flannely footed pajamas.

We are now safely back home vowing not to leave the house again this weekend.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

10 comments:

Jan said...

So finally you got a diagnosis and some meds for her...she'll be good as new in a couple of days! My son had strep throat and I had no clue...he just felt under the weather, but no symptoms other than a low-grade temp. I was surprised when it came back to be strep, because he didn't have a sore throat at all. Strep is obviously a tricky one and symptoms don't always indicate it's presence!
Hope you stay warm in all this ice and snow! It's in the 60's here...I shouldn't complain--but I did want snow for Christmas...oh well:) Take care! Jan

Anonymous said...

Poor thing, strep throat can be quite bad. It is the one thing that hits me hard about once a year. The antibiotics will help alot.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cinj .. kids can really drive you crazy with worry .. even when they become adult "kids" .. I'm glad peanut will be on the mend for you now. And that thing about the flannel pajamas .. I have some crazy ones (without feet) that make me feel warm because they are flannel and VERY red with cute animals on them .. no matter how old I get I want my flannel pjs !!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Oh dear. I am glad you took her to see the doc and got the meds you needed. My daughter use to get Strep all the time and I knew the signs of it before she even had it. LOL She use to throw up and throw up and throw up. It was the first sign. Then the fever. We would go to the doctor in jammies too. It seemed like she finally out grew it when she was in high school. But before that everytime and I mean everytime she got sick she had that. I hope Peanut gets well soon and can at least enjoy a few days of vacation(-: I am sick too and thinking I need to go in on Monday.

Cindy said...

I hope she is well soon. I will say a prayer for all of you. You have so much to deal with right now.

Anonymous said...

My son had mono one year, he was active, drank alot(thank god) but would spike a fever at noon everyday. Poor guy had to be on steroids for 7 days and couldn't do a thing for a month (enlarged spleen) Dropping out of baseball was the worst! I felt so bad for him. I hope Peanut feels better in a short amount of time.

Anonymous said...

Poor Peanut. I'm sure you're glad you decided to take her to the walk in clinic. Hopefully now she'll be on the mend quickly. I'm sorry she wasn't feeling well for Christmas. It's a terrible time to be sick. :-(
I hope 2009 will be a much better year for you Cinj. You've certainly been thru more than your share of struggles this past year. Best wishes!

Lona said...

Poor Peanut.Now that you know what it is and are taking care of it she should be better in no time. It is just tough to be sick period let alone when it is Christmas.

Unknown said...

Jan- Tell me about it. No wonder some children used to die of these things, if they don't show any serious symptoms it's hard to know anything's wrong. I just didn't like the prolonged fever. Who knew?

The doctor took one look, listened to my list of symptoms and didn't even order a strep test it was so awful looking.

Racquel- I've had it before. I don't envy her and I sure hope I don't end up with it. She already acting so much better, chattering a mile a minute and playing video games.

Joy- That's for sure! She's still comfy wearing them. I might have to make myself a pair, I have plenty of fleece.

Cindee- Me too! I can tell when I have strep but she's never had it before. Maybe I'll do better next time. Although I sure hope there isn't a next time!

I want to take her sledding again and we wanted to take a trip down to Wausau. Hard to fit all of the fun plans into just a couple of days though.

Cindy- Thanks, prayers are always greatly appreciated. I hope we're done dealing with everything soon!

Dawn- At least strep isn't mono. I couldn't imagine that ordeal, poor guy.

Kathleen- I am too. It was a load off my mind to know what it was we were dealing with and getting it treated. I'm sure my pocket book won't be too happy when the bill comes because our stupid insurance will more than likely refuse to pay a cent of it. Oh well, I'll just let that be a headache for another day!

Thanks. I think we're all hoping the same thing. It can't be bad forever though, can it? At least we've had a few good things happen too.

Lona- She's finally able to enjoy her Christmas presents. I guess she's making up for lost time. I won't complain though!

Linda said...

Let's hope the meds have kicked in and Peanut is feeling better. Hopefully no one else in the family comes down with it.