Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Styrofoam Ball Ornaments

I meant to do a seperate post for each of the ornaments we made this year, but somehow I managed to fritter away most of my time already. Geez, where in the world has this month gone anyway? So here are general directions on how to make an ornament out of styrofoam.



You can use styrofoam of any type. There is the porous kind and the smooth type. Either works with the tissue paper technique we used. I had quite a large collection of styrofoam balls since I used to frequent both Goodwill and Salvation Army to stock up on Sunday School craft supplies.



Once you have your plan of action in place, it's time for the glue. We used elmer's glue and a paint brush for even coverage.

Put just a little bit of glue at a time onto your styrofoam. Place your tissue paper pieces on the glue, pressing the tissue firmly onto the glue. It is best to use smaller pieces of tissue to avoid large folds in your project.

The first piece may be a bit tricky to work with, but the tissue paper pieces stick to each other quite well once you get a good start. I decided that white tissue paper would be a good color for a snowman, but any color will work. The brighter colors may bleed a little bit, so make sure to use a protective surface.

To do more than one ball, simply coat a toothpick thickly with glue first one end and then the other. Tacky glue worked best for this part of the project. Usually I prefer hot glue for most crafts but it tends to melt the stryofoam. Poke the toothpick into one ball and then the other allowing then to dry just a bit.



I save any tissue paper we get for future use. We have quite an interesting collection to choose from. These selections come from Valentine presents, birthday gifts, Christmas,... you name it I saved it! Cheesehead complains that I'm a pack rat, but why waste something just because it has a few wrinkles in it?



Once all of the tissue squares were in place, I put another layer of glue over the top of the tissue pieces. This will help all of pieces stuck firmly to the ball. To add a sparkly snow like effect, I used white glitter on top of the glue.

Pipe cleaners work well for ornament hangers on the porous type styrofoam, but not so well for the dense smooth ones.



The most fun part is embellishing. We used straight pins to secure the seed beads, sequins, and felt.

Two other great things to do with styrofoam includes making quilted look ornaments with assorted fabric poked into the foam with a pair of scissors or cover the ball with fabric or ribbon for an elegant look embellished with sequins to tack the fabric in place. I may make these sometime in the future.

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wondered how you got this birdie to look feathered. I've done the quilted ball, it's on my Etsy.
I'm the second hand store gal for crafts too! And...And my hubby teases me about the tissue paper saving, I even cut the flexiable plastic off the big toy packages (christmas is great for that!) to use as picture coverage for my quilted frames, esp on photo albums! I may be a bit obsessive...

tina said...

Those fabric covered balls bring back memories for sure.

Gail said...

What a great project for kids and lots of fun, too!I can still remember how the glue felt on my fingers from crafts like this. Gail

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

You are so crafty! Your children must love you being their Mother! :)

Christmas Hugs,
Kathi :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cinj. I haven't been blog hopping much lately so I don't know when you changed your header ~ it's beautiful. Good job! I love handmade ornaments, the messier the better. I usually end up wearing a lot of glitter this time of year! Such a fun project for kids and creates memories as well. I think it's great you take time to make them.

Linda Lunda said...

Hi!
Soo Sweet!
I hope you will have a ....
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Linda

Unknown said...

Dawn- Aren't those second hand stores the best? I never thought of that plastic, I'm sure the kids will get at least one gift with that stuff on it....

Tina- They're beautiful, aren't they? I sure wish I had been able to rescue the one I made in fourth grade from my dad's house before his landlord took over the house I gave to uncle Don and trashed it all. SIGH.

Gail- Felt? I just had some glue on my hands the other day! LOL.

Kathi- I'm sure they probably do sometimes. Not so much when I try to make them follow all those annoying rules I have though.

Kathleen- It's such a busy time of year I don't blame you. Thanks.

The cleanup is the worst part of crafting. Apparently lots of people are out there looking for styrofoam ornament ideas this time of year too.

Linda- Thanks. I love how even a mistake can turn into a treasure. Merry Christmas!