Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Spring Tidings

Even more signs of spring are heading our way. The ice is melting like crazy around here. Today was almost 60 and tomorrow is supposed to be the same. Horray!

The kids were out in full force playing in the river that used to be our driveway. Do you think they even bothered to put on their boots before playing in inches of ice cold streams of water? NO!

It appears that all of the snow from the road melts and drains into our driveway. This path leads the water right into our yard. I think that we should put a permanent pond here. The soil doesn't hold the water once the snow melt stops, but I think it would get a plentiful supply of fresh water. Maybe not the best location though, it will probably be full of pine needles and leaves in no time flat. Cheesehead doesn't think a pond is a good idea. I suppose he's right, but I just adore the idea of a pond.

Peanut was kind enough to make us a nice dinner of mud pie. Gaspacho style. Maybe a bit more extreme complete with slushy ice.

Even Cheesehead got outside to play. Plus we get some yummy burgers out of the deal. Grilling season is back. We even got the bench out to enjoy the wonderful warmth and sunshine.

My play area is almost all melted off too. I hope to get out and get my vegetable garden started next week. Cheesehead thinks I'm being too optomistic with that thought. Maybe I am, but wouldn't it be wonderful? He wants to make me a raised bed. Probably a good idea with all of the tree roots around I'll have to deal with.

Plants have emerged from the snow today and two of them are already green.

The Candy Striped Creeping Phlox is full and green.

I think this one was a type of sedum. Angelina? I seem to remember it being more yellowish. Maybe the color next to the snow makes it appear more green to me.

Keep the melt coming, I'm ready for spring. Bring it on!

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think it's Angelina too. Good to see you digging out from the snow. You have a lot of plants to look forward to. It will make the work you did last year--worth it.

Anonymous said...

Like Kathleen said, going like the wicked witch! I'm melting! I'm melting!

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Cindee ! We had an amazing day yesterday too !! Yipppeeee ! .. and today which is clean out and empty the shed day is supposed to be wonderful too .. so we have to work hard and get a lot done today .. supposed to be showers tomorrow .. but hey, this is a great break : )

Anonymous said...

Go for the raised bed! You'll be glad you did! And I know how you feel about the pond. I wish we had a big one here, too!

garden girl said...

So glad some mild weather has finally made it up to the frozen north!

Chris said...

I'm a bit southwest of you and have been really enjoying the melt. I getting to be quite (overly?) optimistic too and am planning on working in the gardens. I know that there must still be more snow to come but this spring weather has me really wanting to garden. By the way, my husband put in eight raised beds for me and it has been the greatest. Better soil, easier to weed and no tree roots to contend with!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

You must be so happy! Your kids sound like my daughter. She's outside all the time with flip flops no matter what the weather is. I hope it continues to melt!

Skeeter said...

Spring is soon to come your way! Hang in there a bit longer. Yum the burgers look good!

Unknown said...

Anna- It is. I found the tag. Most of the front yard is still covered in snow, but it doesn't look like I should have too many problems with the driveway this year.

Dawn- LOL. Melt baby, melt.

Joy- I cleaned the garage today. It sure was nice to get outside and get some fresh air after all those months basically holed up inside.

Ben- I'd actially like several, but we'll just do one this year I think. Those roots are a complete pain.

Linda- Me too!

Chris- It sure has been nice, hasn't it? The thaw is a bit earlier than usual, but we can be hopeful, can't we? What size are your beds? I'm thinking about having him make me a 5 by 25 foot bed this spring. I plan on doing intensive style gardening to see if it may work better for me than the traditional beds I tried before.

Catherine- I sure am! Neither one of them wanted to wear a coat to school today. I managed to talk the younger one into wearing one, but the older one I barely managed to talk him into a sweatshirt. I guess I shouldn't talk, I was still wearing sandals in October last fall....

Skeeter- Hurah! Spring for all. The burgers were great. Tonight we had brats. I wonder what he'll grill tomorrow, he seems to be on a roll!

Chris said...

We have a nice size yard in town and decided to have mostly raised beds in the backyard since the grass and soil weren't great. Our fire pit/sitting area is in the center surrounded by the beds. We have 2 8x4ft, 6 4x4 ft and 2 3x8 ft beds and my husband will eventually add 2 more 4x4's and 2 more 8x4 ft beds. Your planned 5 x 25 ft bed sounds great. I hope that works out for this spring.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I'm so glad spring has finally made it's way to your neck of the woods. Instead of a pond, why not plant a bog garden. It would be less maintenance and would help absorb the water. Not that I know anything about such things first hand. I have such envy of lush, big-leaved plants that like it wet.

Unknown said...

Chris- I will have my raised bed in my back yard too. If all goes well this year I hope to add more in the furture.

MMD- That's a great idea. I know nothing about bog gardens though. I would need a pond liner if I want to retain the moisture though, it dried out over night and the hole caused by all the drainage is about 2 feet deep I'd guess. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for now, it's not like I don't have any other improvements to do in my garden this year.

B said...

It's nice that the snow is finally disappearing.

My boys were outside riding bikes and telling me they didn't need coats, or boots, or bicycle helmets. 8[

Anonymous said...

Thawing sounds like a good sign of spring coming to your parts Cinj! What a nice day your family had outdoors. :)