Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Don't Throw Away that Hose!

I cut the hose end off to
be able to measure
the hose size.

It seems most people these days would rather throw something away than fix it when it breaks or gets damaged, but why?  I would venture to guess that most people do it because repairing things is either too complicated, it takes too much time and effort, or it may not even occur to them that things can be fixed.  I just repaired a hose the other day and I wanted to show you just how easy the process is!

As you can see, my hose end was crushed so I could no longer connect it to another hose or a sprayer or anything.  I attempted to bend it back into place with little success.  Luckily they sell replacement parts so instead of shelling out a huge bundle of cash for a brand new hose, I just needed to buy a new end for a couple of bucks.

What's the process?  I'll walk you through it.


The collar inside the hose
is also crushed.  No
wonder why I couldn't
bend it back!
1.  Determine the size of your hose.  In my area it seems that 5/8" is the most common size.
You can determine the size by measuring  the actual hose from edge to edge.  I have mostly seen 1/2" and 5/8" hoses in my local home improvement stores.

2.  Buy the part you need to repair your problem.
In my case, I needed a hose end.  While I could have purchased the parts separately I decided to buy a complete set because I found a better deal to get all of the pieces I needed in one kit.  Besides, as accident prone as I am I am sure to need the "extra" pieces at some point...

My not quite perfect flat
hose edge.
3.  Gather materials needed to replace/repair the damaged part.
A sharp knife, a flat head screw driver, and the repair pieces were all that I needed.

4.  Start the repair.
 
A.  Cut the hose leaving as straight of an edge as possible.
This hose cut easily, some of them are reinforced so just be aware.  You will need firm pressure and a steady hand for this task.  While it doesn't need to be perfect it should be as close as you can muster as a firmly fit  cut will help prevent  any future incidents or leaks.

B.  Firmly seat the piece into the hose.
You'll need to seat it into place as tightly as possible.  This one slipped right into place.  Do make sure that you remember to put the hose clamp onto the hose BEFORE seating the hose end onto the hose.

C.  Tighten the hose clamp as tightly as possible.
Our almost completed
hose repair
This will keep the water in the hose where it belongs instead of spraying all over you and your shoes.

Other hose repair suggestions:

If your hose spray handle leaks all over you try replacing the rubber oring seated inside the metal component where the hose comes in contact with the handle.

A bent hose or a hole in the hose:

The damaged portion can be cut out and either spliced back together or make 2 separate hoses using the procedure listed above.

Thank you for stopping by to chat with me. Please leave me a message, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Cindy




No comments: