Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Plant Soil Experiment Progress

This is WAY better than I ever dreamed it would be! Do you remember when I planted my two baskets with exactly the same plants? I did one basket of home made mixture and one basket of expensive soil mixture.

experiment

Look at the difference!



This is the plant that I used the expensive soil. It's a little bigger than the size it started as. If I hadn't done the other basket, I wouldn't know that it's better to make my own mixture.



I know that this is the one I used my personal soil mixture for. I know, because the only difference between the petunias was the stripping. I planted the one with stripes in MY mixture. Do you see the stripes? Maybe not, the picture isn't the best.



They are both exposed to the same amount of sunlight. They hang not far from each other, as you can see. They get equal amounts of water as well. Neither of them has received any additional plant food either.

Can you see the difference?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindyo

9 comments:

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow big difference. I am hoping to do some of my own soil in the near future too(-:

garden girl said...

Wow is right. There really is a big difference. This is very interesting Cinj. I've never even thought about mixing my own potting soil.

tina said...

I can see the difference.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

You've been such a busy bee. What a lot of work you've gotten done. I'm impressed with the results of your soil experiment. So, are you going to dump all the soil out of the other container & replace it with the good stuff? :^D

Anonymous said...

That's a big difference. I use my own soil mix too but our weather is countering some of my efforts. Your garden efforts are really paying off.

Unknown said...

Cindee- You know, it's funny. I don't think it really takes any longer to mix your own soil than it does to take it out of a bag or already prepared soil. It's SO worth it!

Linda- I think the plants speak for themselves. I'm glad I did!

MMD- You should see all of the things I've been working on that I didn't blog about. I installed a dishwasher and started organizing the garage too. I can't believe all of the energy I've had lately!

Thanks! I'm rather impressed myself. I won't be replacing the soil, but I think I'll try to work some added nutrients into the scrawny one though.

Anna- That's what is so nice about living here in the frozen north, it's easier to counter the weather effects of the hot summer since it doesn't get as hot. Of course there is the trade off of being knee deep in snow for half a year. Hmm, maybe that's not such a great payoff after all!

Anonymous said...

I remember thinking when I read that post, what a great experiment. The results are extremely interesting. Are you going to share your potting soil mixture or is it a secret? ;-)
I may have to try that out myself next year as I think there is a significant difference between the two baskets.

Unknown said...

Oh Kathleen, how could I keep a secret from you? I posted it already. Have fun!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

WOW! big difference! Great job Cinj! I'll have to get your secret...:)