Do NOT Copy

Do NOT Copy

Were my Expectations too High?

I showed you all my wonderful cherry tree bursting with berries just a few days ago, right? See my Bountiful Blessings post. Hmm, I guess it's been a little longer than I thought. Every branch was covered in fruit. They were a gorgeous red, but I don't know much about how to tell when they're ripe so I left them on the tree. I mean, they were so small and everything, I was waiting for them to grow a bit bigger. Cherries are usually larger than a marble, aren't they? These aren't even as big as a pea. Way too small to be ready for picking! Or so I thought.

I left them on the tree and started pouring over cherry jelly recipes. Oh the plans I was making! Cherry pie, cherry jelly, cherry syrup,....

I went out today to find most of them had been eaten off the tree already! Were they already ripe? There I go again, asleep at the stick. Grr. I ran inside to get my bucket. While there really weren't that many cherries on the tree, I didn't think I would be able to hold them all in my hands. You know what?



I think I could have. No, there aren't any around the edge where you can't see in the bucket either. What do I do with such a small amount of cherries. It may be 1/2 a cup if I'm lucky. They ARE cherries, aren't they? I sure hope those bluebirds enjoyed my fruit. Maybe I'll have better luck with collecting nuts and/or berries. I wonder how to tell when I should try to pick those?

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave me a message and a backlink. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cindy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well--there are a lot of varieties of Cherry trees and one might wonder if you were saved from a belly ache. I would send a pic off to the county extension--they got to see leaves too. And then wait to see what they say. I'm so sorry if they were the edible type---that's a pitiful bunch you harvested. Looks like maybe a topper for banana splits.

Anonymous said...

I would have to agree with Anna, some cherries aren't edible, better to be safe than sorry. The birds will get you everytime.

Anonymous said...

Oh that must have been so disappointing!

Have you decided what to do with the cherries yet?

Skeeter said...

Our crabapple had fruit for the first time this year but all gone due to the birds! Guess they gotta eat too! Yep some fruit trees are just ornamentals and fruit not meant to be eaten by anything other then wildlife... We did not plan to eat our crabapples but did kind of want them to get big so the deer could enjoy a few… Squirrels ate the blossoms in spring and the birds get the tiny fruit on the small branches that the squirrels cannot reach…. We may try netting next year…

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

I believe they are sour cherries, great to make jelly. You have to be quick, same thing happens with plums. The squirrels and birds get them fast. There's always next year!